Woman hospitalised after CBD apartment fire

February 15, 2024 5:25 pm in by

Fire crews rushed to the Signature building in Wollongong’s CBD just before midday, after fire broke out in a 14th floor apartment.

Residents were forced to evacuate when the fire alarm triggered around 1130, thought to be caused by a candle igniting a TV monitor.

Nearby crews worked quickly to extinguish the blaze, which caused extensive smoke and heat damage to the Regent Street apartment.

Article continues after this ad

A woman in her 60s was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, and taken to Wollongong Hospital.