A man will face court today charged over on allegedly crashing into a police vehicle in Fairy Meadow.
About 4pm yesterday, Tuesday 5 September 2023, officers from Wollongong Police were conducting patrols in Fairy Meadow, following reports a Nissan Navara had been seen driving dangerously.
It’s alleged the Navara then crashed into a marked police vehicle on Elliott Street at Fairy Meadow.
The officer, a male inspector, was trapped in his car for a short period before being released by paramedics.
He has been taken to Wollongong Hospital with minor injuries.
The driver of the Navara allegedly fled the scene; however, was arrested nearby by police after a foot pursuit.
The 23-year-old man has been taken to Wollongong Hospital, where he underwent mandatory testing, before being taken to Wollongong Police Station.
He was charged with 26 offences, including:
- six counts of drive conveyance taken without consent of owner,
- six counts of drive motor vehicle during disqualification period,
- five counts of police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously,
- five counts of drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous,
- not give particulars to other driver,
- predatory driving,
- use offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, and
- not give particulars to other driver.
He was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court today, Wednesday 6 September 2023.