A special milestone for Thirroul Fire Station will take place this weekend as it celebrates its first 100 years of operation.
The first firefighters were stationed there in 1923, with the original crew working from a small garage, equipped only with a hose-reel, hose and minor appliances.
In 1924, the Board of Fire Commissioners granted permission for the construction of a new brick fire station, with the building becoming fully operational on the 4th of September of that year.
The station advanced to include an engine-room, recreation room, storeroom and equipment that included several hose-reels, hoses and four scaling ladders.
This facility stood firm for the next 40 years, before a new station was commissioned and officially opened on Saturday 1st February, 1975.
Saturday’s ceremony was attended by several dignitaries, including Maryanne Stuart MP, Gordon Bradbury (Lord Mayor Wollongong), Megan Stiffler (Acting Commissioner Fire and Rescue NSW), Belinda McMartin (CEO – Museum of Fire), Senior Officers from RFS, Ambulance NSW, SES and Uncle Peter Button (Aboriginal Elder).