The NSW SES has issued a Flood Watch for the Illawarra coast, along with the Shoalhaven River and St Georges Basin.
Heavy rainfall is forecast to develop through central parts of the NSW coast from the Illawarra to southern parts of the Mid North Coast during Saturday.
The heavy rain may cause minor to moderate flooding and is expected to intensify further in the new week with major flooding possible.
Whilst heavy rainfall is expected for several days from Saturday through to Tuesday it is difficult to predict with precision the timing and location of the heaviest rainfall and flood impacts, as the trough system expected to produce the heavy rainfall has not yet formed.
What we are expecting: based on the prediction provided by the Bureau of Meteorology it is expected the following catchments will be impacted by flooding:
• Illawarra Coast
• Shoalhaven River (Minor Flooding)
• St Georges Basin (Minor Flooding) If heavy rainfall continues for longer than predicted, access roads may be cut and low lying rural areas may become isolated.
What you need to do: People in areas that may be impacted by flooding should prepare their properties and homes and:
• Stay up to date with information. Listen to flood warnings and follow the advice on how to protect yourself, family and property - see below for ways to stay informed.
• Consider collecting essential items in a waterproof bag: food, water, warm clothes, medications, valuables, important documents, toys for children in case you need to leave.
• Keep your pets close by, always know where they are.
• Clean up yards and secure moveable objects such as trampolines, BBQs and outdoor furniture.
• Check on your family, friends and neighbours and share this information. Farmers and rural property owners should watch the river and be ready to move pumps, other equipment and livestock away from rising waters.
Image: NSW SES Wollongong Unit Facebook